Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fraulein Marge marries Captain von Williams

As I sit here reminiscing about the wedding I attended in Austin this past weekend, I am feeling compelled to share my thoughts on the magic that happened...

Last weekend Margaret Page wed Matt Williams at a noon-time ceremony at Tarrytown Methodist in Austin.  Now, I don't know if any of y'all have ever been to a day wedding, but let me warn ya: it's code for "you WILL arrive with wet hair."  My parents suggested that I should have woken up earlier...oh the heresy!

The ceremony was beautiful I tell you, simply goooooorgeous.  Highlights included hearing the priest (or whatever you call them in Methodist church) refer to the groom as "Buddha in a suit" and weeping as my friend Mollie Brown sang "Be Thou My Vision" in a voice that one attendee described as "sexy/churchy."  The wedding was simple, classic, perfect.

I love weddings.  And, as I said, this one was perfect.  But I always think they need a little whimsy.  Something silly.  I'm tempted to wear a bird's nest in my hair or put on some tacky red heels for my big day, but I think Marge's dash of magic takes the (wedding) cake.  As the ceremony began, the family and wedding party processed into the church to a string orchestra playing something great and classical that I don't remember now.  But, when Margaret walked down the aisle, the tune changed.  Suddenly, visions of Leisl holding Fraulein Maria's veil danced in my head: she was walking down the aisle to the very song that Maria did when she married Captain von Trapp!  It was AMAZING and I, of course, burst into tears.  

Later I discovered that the only other person in the congregation to realize this little morsel of joy was a man of about 55 years of age who I can only describe as a having the exuberance of Rodney Dangerfield, a twang that rivals John Wayne's, and the dance moves of John Travolta.  Needless to say, I was quite pleased to be keeping such stellar company in the musical trivia department.


No comments: